Tuesday, January 31, 2012

DIY Seasoning Mixes /Spices

A few months ago, I had the beginnings of a good idea. I found a great recipe that needed garlic salt. I had both salt and garlic powder. But no garlic salt. I wasn't about to run to the store and get some. I knew I could make my own, so with some quick googling I found the ratios. The ratios provided a bit more than I needed, so I decided to just save the extra in one of those fancy spice rack jars that had been empty for years.

A few days later I was making burritos and finishing of a packet of taco seasoning and thought the same thing. It smelled like a combo of all the spices I already had. I found a "recipe" for the seasoning via pinterest, and it was exactly the same. And then, of course, why not make some cinnamon sugar topping just because. 

I've been using each for months and finally decided to put labels on them. (My husband didn't know what is what and I'm not sure he liked my "open and smell" technique to tell them apart from some other spices I had unlabeled. I whipped up some labels on address labels via Photoshop/Microsoft word, and now they are complete.

Ratios/Recipes are below. And yes I need to make more garlic salt and cinnamon sugar. And just a little confession or two....I don't measure my taco seasoning in the beef - I just shake til it looks/smells good. And I gave the "normal" cinnamon sugar ratio, but I totally just go by taste - lots of sampling needed that way. I think I prefer a bit more cinnamon then it suggests. Hope they work for you. Let me know any other ideas for spice/seasoning mixes if you have any. (Always needing a great Italian one).


Finally a great use for my spice rack set's empty jars
TACO SEASONING
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp paprika
2 tbsp ground cumin
3 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Use about 2-3 tablespoons in place of the packet taco seasoning.

GARLIC SALT
3 parts salt
1 part garlic powder
(for example, 3 tablespoons salt and 1 tablespoon garlic powder)

CINNAMON SUGAR 
1/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

No comments: