Thursday, January 05, 2012

Our "God-given" rights***

***First off, let me tell you what this post is NOT. This is not an attack on birth control or fertilization techniques nor is it an attempt to convince people to be against abortion. I am merely using this as an example of how easy it is to claim the believe something until the issue really hits home. So even if your personal views differ, read on and hear me out. My point is that I don't know everything about these things and naively just assume they are part of my rights as an American woman. If I'm missing some info and/or wrong on my information, feel free to politely comment ***

My husband and I were talking about Christians in America and how we cling so strongly to our American rights. We desire to be conformed to the image of Christ, but we are Americans and we have certain "God-given" rights that we don't want to give up. Neither of us could find a place in scripture that promises us our rights. We discussed numerous examples, but the one that came to my mind as a female was the ballot issue in early November for an anti-abortion amendment in Mississippi that failed to pass, the personhood amendment.

A quote from a Washington Post article explained, "Mississippi would have become the first state to define a fertilized egg as a person, a measure which was aimed at outlawing abortion in the state but, opponents contended, would have led to all kinds of unintended consequences."

These consequences? A FEAR that it might criminalize birth control and some fertilization practices. Here is what bothered me. Many people who claimed to be anti-abortion did not vote in favor of the amendment because of these fears. Why?

So many Christians I know (male and female), said they were against abortion. They know what scripture says. (Not to mention, they personally would never consider abortion). But here is what happened with that issue. They may never consider abortion personally, but they will use birth control and might need fertilization techniques now or in the future. I'm not saying either of these are wrong...don't read that into my words. In fast, I haven't found conclusive info on either of those two result in harming and/or ending the life of a newborn. (I know some fertilization practices eliminate fertilized eggs, but that option is not required).

Voters against abortion (and those debating the issue in other states) did not want to possibly give up the right to birth control or fertilization techniques, even if it meant the legality of abortion would be re-examined. People who really wanted to see Roe vs. Wade overturned and abortion ended hesitated to vote for this extremely conservative view of "personhood"

In truth, the amendment would not be able to take away that right without some serious intervention from the supreme court and some scientific evidence proving that birth control ends the life of a fertilized egg. Maybe they could prove that? Maybe not...but as Christians how on earth can we claim to be against one thing (abortion) but then fear our birth control might be taken away. If by the legal battle, it is proven that birth control is indeed ending a life, would I use it? If so, why? Because it's my right as a woman? If science clearly showed that fertilized eggs were lost (aborted) from the body, then I'd have no way to take that form of birth control and yet condemn abortion.

To me, those debating the issue who were torn between ending abortion and yet feared losing the ability to family plan as desired. They desired to stand up against aborting an unborn child only in as much as it didn't affect their lives. The worst part it, it wasn't even certain it would effect birth control or fertilization - it was just a possibility. And it was only possible for a few forms of birth control and fertilization, not all forms!

As I said, abortion is not really the issue that bugged me here. The laws passed by our government will not always agree with God's word. Legal or not, it shouldn't effect my views or actions. The real issue is the reality that even I struggled with the idea of giving up rights to birth control options or fertilization techniques if needed. It is so easy to believe and seek God in one thing, but to fear to even learn the truth in another issue because I don't want to give up an option for something I might need or enjoy.

As a Christian, do I have rights? As an American, I do, but my citizenship is in Heaven. As I pursue the things I feel our my rights, I need to first seek God. It's very American to have the right to free speech, but how often does God desire I tame my tongue? It's very American to have the right to own property, but am I willing to give up that right if God calls me to? There are so many more "rights" and things I tend to think I'm "owed" as an American. Legal or not, I need to learn about what His word says about things. I need to learn a lot more about the character traits of a heavenly citizen and a lot less about what I feel entitled to here on earth!

No comments: