Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Better Milk Challenge

This is a PKU post, so if you don't know what that is, you can skip reading this.

The past year I kept getting offers and bribes (win an iPad in a raffle) to convince me to try BetterMilk.

It claimed to be better for many reasons and it was "milk-like". I know for most PKU parents reading this, the "milk-like" sold them on getting a sample, but personally I think milk is disgusting. When I've grown up unable to drink milk for 30 years, a few accidental sips then and now were disgusting to me. No thanks.

But I love my Apple products, so at the chance of an iPad I agreed to try it.

I HATE change when it comes to anything in my diet/formula. Only a few years ago I changed to CaminoPro Fruit Punch and it took forever to get used to it. I managed to drink it only while chewing gum...but it worked for me just fine. Even after the samples were sent, I avoided them like the plague for months. Finally, my hubbie convinced me to try (I think he wanted the iPad too).

PROS: Easy to make. Easy on stomach. (I think because the GMP Protein is better for me- other stuff gave me stomachaches). Less smelly. Cheaper than CaminoProFruit Punch. Easier to travel with than pre-made liquids at the airport and full cans of powder. And I've noticed that the ProBiotics help like Jamie Lee Curtis always claims they do (much better than other formula for "digestion"in my opinion)

CONS: Still kinda smelly. Powder can be messy when I've been spoiled by pre-mixed pouches. Still has after taste (I still chew gum with it)

The bottom line: It tastes a little less like formula, but it still has a formula after taste (they all claim they don't). It mixes easier than any powder I've tried before. Other than the after-taste, the taste is creamy and mostly neutral. It needs a bit more than 4oz. water like it says- I use between 6-8oz. So far I've tried it with one recipe...but I'll post more about that later.

After a short battle with insurance and going through my 3 month supply of the old stuff first, I have finally officially switched over to BetterMilk.


But I didn't win the iPad :(

Coming soon - Reviews on BetterMilk Hot Chocolate and BetterMilk Fudgesicle Pops


No comments: