Thursday, January 26, 2012

Homemade Bread

EDIT*  Click here for the recipe


This phase of my life includes no job. I'm looking, but living in a small town makes it difficult. However, it has been a hidden blessing learning how to make things from scratch to save money. I've made lots of recipes so far, but the one I was the most afraid of attempting was bread.

After much research online and delay for fear of how it might fail - I created this:
It looks like actual bread!

No holes in the bread!
I used the recipe on the back of my bag of whole wheat flour. (Gold Medal)


I read stories about how loaves turn out odd shaped and/or have holes in the final product. With some quick online research while my dough was in its first rise, I found this tip page. I rolled the bread just like she said and it turned out pretty normal looking. It was a little lopsided, but who cares.

It tastes great. It definitely tasted the best the first day. But it still tastes better than store bread even on day 4. Yes, it took a while to make, but time is something I have plenty of these days. Now that I've given it a try, it actually would not be hard at all to make some loafs on weekend for the entire week (assuming and hoping I have a job someday soon).


No comments: