Sunday, July 27, 2008

Week 5 -UK (Casa Kids)

This is a pic of our team getting first place!! This week, we took the kids from Livada’s care to camp. It was so much easier than all the other weeks because most of the kids knew some English. We did not take any volunteer translators, only the Romanian staff members, Alina and Ovi, and our main translator, Alexandra. My group was made up of a few of the kid, including the girl I sponsor, Maria, Cornel, Katy, Krisztina, Daniela, Levi and Stefan. I had met each one of them during previous visits to the Casas, but this week I was really able to build relationships with a few of the girls, especially Maria.

I asked ahead of time to be in her group and was hoping to spend a lot of time with her. But from the first day, Krisztina decided she always wanted to stand by me in line all the time. I had been to the Casas a few times and tried to talk to her but she never seemed interested, yet as of Monday, she and I really clicked. She had so much energy, which I am told is not normal for her. She is a bit of a tomboy so she was great to have around on the games. She constantly told me she loved me and even made me a bracelet. My favorite memory of her will be when we made her our “body builder”. She really wanted to do it, but we weren’t sure she had it in her. Not only did she take on the role, dancing and posing, she also helped us win first place. During the last night of prayer I had been warned that she would probably not be focused. As I went up to pray for her, she took me aside far from the group. As soon as I finished my prayer, she asked to pray for me. I didn’t understand much since it was in Romanian, but I know she thanked God for sending me to camp with her. It is a moment I will always remember.

Kati was a bit tougher. She obviously crazed love and attention, but she would shy away as soon as it was given to her. She wanted to be so independent, but I could see how self-conscience she was in almost everything she did and said. One day, she hurt her toe on the slip and side and I tried to help her walk to the doctor’s tent. She would not lean on me, but she allowed me to walk with her as she hopped. As soon as we got to the doctor, I took her hand. She suddenly pulled away, saying, “Don’t touch me” (her favorite English phrase I think). But as the doctor poured alcohol on the cut, she reached for my hand again. As soon as the sting was gone, she pushed my hand aside and once again said, “Don’t touch me”. This is sort of a picture of who Kati was all week. She obviously has a lot of hurt and mistrust in her past, and I know the years with Livada have helped, but I also know she needs so much prayer, especially now as she is in her teenage years. My prayer for her is not only that she will know Christ personally, but also that she will be able to find her identity and confidence in Him.

Maria and I did not get to spend much time together at camp. But the times we had were wonderful. Going into the day Thursday, my prayer was that God would really help me have deep meaningful conversations with her. During the walk to town, Krisztina clung to me the entire way there, so I wasn’t able to talk to Maria much. But the way back, somehow it ended up being just her and me. We had a great conversation about her family and background. Then that night, after I prayed for her, I still longed for more. I prayed for the rest of the kids in the group, then went back to sit with her. We started talking again, about the future, when I could visit again, and if my family could come meet her. She said she loved spending time with me and both of us almost cried, but we knew it wasn’t goodbye yet. I can’t even imagine what goodbye will be like. Even though our communication is sometimes limited, I feel like she is one of my “youth”. She is the same age as the girls I disciple back in Texas and in so many ways I feel like she is one of them. I wish I could stay and disciple her, but I know for now at least, I need to go back to Texas. As I pray to hear God’s voice for future plans, I pray and hope that Maria will be a part of it.
The rest of the kids were also such a blessing, but this is already too long. Each one of them made me smile and laugh. Team UK produced their own version of the Spice Girls as well as many other fun memories. Below is the link to the pictures and a special treat – a clip of Krisztina winning the body builder competition. Once again, there is no sound, but it was MC Hammer’s Too Legit To Quit. You know you love that song, so just play it or sing it while you watch. Enjoy.
RO Week 5 UK (Casas)


1 comment:

Sharon said...

Erin, thanks for your blogs all summer. I especially appreciated your blog about the Livada kids being at camp. I spent time with Kati, Levi & Zsofial when I was there in April but never got beyond surface interaction. I really appreciate know how to pray specifically for her. Thank you for the sacrifices you made this summer and in the previous summers you have served the many kids. Sharon (in Livada's business office)