Saturday, July 19, 2008

Week 4- Romania

This week I finally got a chance to be the “home team”, Romania. This week was probably one of the most difficult and emotional of all, but amazing. This blog will be a different format than the past few because the week was so different. My team was wonderful, but God opened the doors for me to bond with a few kids not on my team…so I’m just going to tell a little about each kid whether on my team or not.

We took the kids from group homes called Sincrai. We visited there a few weeks back and one of the boys, Florin, instantly clung to me. I found out quickly that he loved my camera most of all. He was not in my group, but he is actually responsible for most my photos this week. From the first day meeting him, he told me he loved me, even when he didn’t want my camera (though usually he asked for it shortly after). He was cute and knew how to use that to his advantage. It was hard to say no to him at times, and usually if I said no, he would find someone else with a camera to cling to. But he always came back to me. We had a “handshake” that I taught him those few weeks back and he remembered all of it this week. He was such a blessing in my life and made me smile and laugh even through a difficult week of feeling sick everyday. The many pics of the two of us smiling should show it all. I am pretty sure we took about 15 pics just the two of us, but I narrowed it down for my album. ☺

Ileana was so much fun right from the beginning. She was on my team and participated in everything. She loved to dance and to cuddle. During the Thursday night time of prayer, she was obviously emotional as I prayed. Afterward, she even prayed for one of the leaders. She and I really connected the last day at the pool though. She had a bracelet she made with her brother and sister’s name, Boby and Rodica. I told her that I was their camp leader (Week 1) and she lit up. All three of them somehow were put in different group homes. They talk on the phone, but it doesn’t seem like they see each other often. She told me that Rodica said she loved me and was so excited that I had been their leader too. It was such a blessing, not only to bond with her but to know that I made an impact on Rodica as well. Boby and I obviously connected, but Rodica was much more of a challenge. Ileana spend the rest of the day with me, drew me a picture, and gave me her email to send her pictures and letters. It was a great way to end the week.

The last story of the week is of Adrianna, one of my girls from last year. My favorite part about last year was working with the teenage girls. So far this summer, I have not had a chance to get to know any. I did not know Adrianna was a part of our camp until late Tuesday when we finally saw each other. She is quieter by nature and although she hugged me, we did not talk much. Last year, we were with Ana Maria and the three of us talked a lot via Ana Maria and I speaking in Spanish. This year since Adrianna was not on my team we spoke very little. I kept praying for opportunities to talk to her and none came. The last day, she told me in Romanian that she wanted my email address to write me. I was so excited. Her sister knows English and so she said she will write me in English. I may not of had the opportunity to talk to her this week, but I am so excited about what God can do through e-mails.

There are so many more stories to tell, but I’ll save those for when I see you in person. The rest of my group was Rares, Adrianna’s brother who loved to make me laugh, Luci, a sweet-spirited guy with the best laugh ever, Adina, a tomboy with amazing soccer skills, Ioana, the educators daughter who was adorable, Mihai, the cutest little boy who could yell ROMANIA louder than anyone else, and the older boys, Pippi and Bela, who could dance with amazing skill. If it works, there is a video of them dancing in costumes for our advertisement. There is no sound (my camera has no mic) but turn on your favorite Romanian techno music while you watch and enjoy.


Pics from the week...
RO Week 4 Romania

No comments: