Friday, August 01, 2008

Week 6- Franta

I am not even sure how to put this week into words, but I will try. This week was by far the most emotional, partly because the kids on my team were very emotional, but also because many moments my thoughts would dwell on the fact that it would be my last week in Romania. It was an amazing week to end on and I learned so much, but it took a lot out of everyone.
Going into the week some team members prayed that I would be blessed with opportunities to minister to teenage girls (so far aside from the Casa week last week my groups are teenage boys and younger girls). The very first day I was a little worried because our group had one girl, Meli, and four leaders. But God answered my prayer with four teenage girls: Meli, 17; Ana Maria who went by Usagi, 17; and her sister Lora, 14; and Erika, 20 (but she counts as a teenager in my book). Our team also had Erika’s boyfriend who came attached to her, Tranifur, and then Jonas, 18.
The very first day our team had some issues. Meli was the only one there that day and she burst into tears when the team lists were read. One of the translators, Dora, did an amazing job calming her down. She was upset because she didn’t like the girls on our team and she was separated from her boyfriend. Since she was the only one on the team I was worried she would not want to do anything. Not only did she do all the cheers, she played so well in the games that after the first day our team was in 1st place. Meli’s father died a while back and Rick, on our team members, was amazing at stepping in and loving her like a father would. He of course shared that even if he could not be there, God was her father. She and I talked about the fact that I was adopted and her struggles with why things happen. I am not sure how God used any of my words, but she listened. She struggles so much with believing in a God she cannot see. One of my prayers for her was that she would be able to feel His presence and know He is real.
Usagi and Lora were sisters and both were so quiet at first. They didn’t want to cheer or participate. The two of them and Meli spend most their time at the campfire smoking. I spent most of the first day with the smokers praying for opportunities, and God provided. I found out that both Meli and Usagi knew a little English. Usagi also listened to my story about being adopted and from that moment on, we really connected. She invited me down to the fire pit to chat with them each time they went to smoke. She understood English and I understood most Romanian, but both of us were not very good at speaking, so I spoke English and she responded in Romanian. It actually worked really well. Usagi was really into Japanese animation, hence her name change. She and Lora both had their hearts softened and began to sing the songs, listen to the messages, and just act like kids. Lora made the same progress and connected really well with the other American team member, Rachel, who was only 12. The two of them played volleyball the entire time and she started acting 14 again. After the first day, she didn’t join her sister at the smoking pit any longer- she just wanted to play.

Jonas is hard to describe. He brought me a CD with his picture on it and started talking in Romanian. I understood something about him looking handsome, but I couldn’t get the rest. Apparently he was just telling me how good looking he was. He loved to sing Manile (Romanian music) but didn’t want to sing “God songs”. He did however have compassionate heart. Isaiah was on crutches all week and Jonas was literally at his side constantly during the days. After Isaiah left, he clung to me and I am pretty sure he kissed my cheek at least a total of 50 times during the course of the week. He did stay to listen to the last message, the one that talked about having a relationship with God. My prayer for him is that those words will just continue to come back to him.

The couple, Erika and Trandifur, both stayed together the entire time and didn’t really want to participate in anything. I did however get opportunities to talk to both of them each meal. Thursday morning was really difficult though. The two fought and Erika would not say a word to anyone. I just sat with her for a while and prayed for her in English, then finally took her to the doctor. The two of them and Meli’s boyfriend actually got sent home for some other issues, which I was afraid would discourage our team, but they stuck together. Even Meli, who was crushed that her boyfriend had to leave, was able to pull things together to play the games and listen to Brian’s message. When Thursday night hit, each one of them cried the as the first words of prayers came out of our mouths. I have never connected so much to the entire team. It was amazing. Overall we finished 2nd, which was a great end to such an emotional week for each of them. The goodbyes were some of the hardest I’ve had to do, but I know God will continue to work in each of their lives.
As always, below are the photos...
RO Week 6 Franta

No comments: