Saturday, February 28, 2009

Can't pay my bills b/c can't remember my fav actor 3 years ago...

Ok so the title is misleading, but could really happen.
I rarely complain on my blog. In fact, I am not very opinionated. But it is that very factor that causes this complaint. Today, while setting a password for PayPal I encountered once again a problem with security questions. Who on earth decided you can ask OPINION questions as security questions? What if I forget my password next year and all my favorites have changed! What if I don't remember what my favorite was years ago when I set up the account. Security questions need to stick to facts. It would be one thing if I was signing up for Facebook or something "fun"-but these silly questions are the security questions for my credit cards. My finances can be effected by my memory of who my favorite cartoon character was 3 years ago when I signed up for the online account.
Below are a list of real security questions from one of my credit cards that I cannot seem to answer. I had to pick three. I resorted to the only three that seemed like the answers cannot change over time. "What street did you grow up on?" "Who was your high school mascot?" and "What was your mother's maiden name?" which is difficult because I can never seem to spell it right! Here are the rest...
What is the name of your favorite childhood friend? Um, I had more than one
What is your favorite book? Changes
What is your favorite cartoon character? No idea
What is your favorite flower? Any people give me
What is your favorite movie? Changes
What is your favorite sport? Changes
What musical instrument do you play? Ok, not opinion, but I played two, so which would I put?
What was the name of your favorite teacher? Had more than one fav
What was your first pet's name? Had two first pets - at the same time
Where did you meet your spouse/significant other? No spouse for me but what if I were to answer this one while dating someone then need my password a year later when I have a new guy in my life?
Who is your favorite actor? Changes
Who is your favorite author? None (I'm not a very dedicated Literature teacher)
Who is your historical person? Um, never even thought about this.
Who is your favorite musician? Changes

No comments: