Friday, June 13, 2008

Targu Mures at last

I’ve arrived in Romania safely at last!
The trip here was relatively uneventful, with the only exception being a very thorough search of “my person” from German officials. It seems the foil gum wrapper that I forgot was in my pocket was very suspicious.
It is a very surreal feeling to be in the midst of a crazy school year, then a few very long plane rides later be in Romania. The reality of the next two months is yet to set in. I slept only about three hours total in the 22 hours of travel, so as you can imagine I am very tired.
We are staying at the same house my team stayed at last year. There is one big room and two smaller rooms. I have a smaller room with another girl. We have tons of shelf space/drawers and so I was already able to unpack all my stuff. There are two bathrooms for twelve females for the first four weeks, so we will see how things work in the mornings.
This week we are mainly setting up the campsite to get things ready for the kids. It will be hard work and is not in my area of expertise. I remember trying to set up a tent at D-NOW this year as part of a race and I am pretty sure our group had to give up because we were taking close to twenty minutes. Perhaps I am better at setting up military tents?
Pictures will come soon. So far we have only been to the city center and Metro, a big grocery store much like SAM’s Club. The city hasn’t changed, so I didn’t take any new pics, and I did not take any pictures at Metro because I was too busy trying to read Romanian nutritional labels.

No comments: