Saturday, June 21, 2008

A few days to rest

I have started 3 out of the last 4 blogs with the words "at last" somewhere in the title. How very unoriginal, but it expresses my anticipation for the weeks to come. The past few days, however, was time for much needed rest.

Friday was a relaxing day of shopping and doing laundry. It was in no way exciting, but the rest was much needed. We did go to training with the 40+ high school age volunteer translators, almost all females. They all love to practice English and laughed at my Romanian pronunciations (mispronunciations that is). Those of you who know I love working with teenagers can imagine how exciting that was. I pray I will be able to build relationships with each of the girls I work with this summer.

Saturday I slept in as much as I could (til 9) and headed out to Real for some snacks to take to camp. It was easy to get the taxi to Real but we weren’t really sure how to take a taxi back. I was able to practice my Romanian skills and ask around for a taxi with very little problems (good think pointing is universal language). Then when our taxi number arrived, a woman ran toward it to take it from us. We didn’t know what to do, but I knew it was our taxi we called for, so I just stuck my head in the window and told the driver where we were going and we got in. The lady looked mad, but another taxi pulled up right after. It would have been more polite to say “Sorry, this is our taxi number so you will just need to wait” but the only words of that I know are “Sorry…taxi…” so I didn’t even try.

Then I went to Casa Ana to visit Maria again. I showed her pictures on my laptop. She loved seeing pictures of my family (also sponsoring her) and of my apartment and car. Honda is a rare import here, so they were very impressed with my fancy car (where as Mercedes makes the local garbage trucks here). Then I opened up Photo Booth and the real fun began. The kids enjoyed making silly faces for almost an hour. Below are some of the photos we took. Enjoy.

No comments: