Sunday, May 18, 2008

Trading in the "teacher clothes"

I just got back from a 2 hour trip to TJ Max, my new favorite store. A few weeks back I bought my Laundry brand "prom" dress there for $29.99 regularly $235. A few months ago, my mom and I bought some 7 jeans for only $50, regularly $170. No, I'm not trying to advertise for them, I just love big savings.
My summer in Romania will mostly be spent sleeping in M.A.S.H-style military tents and running around outside playing games. I decided my Ann Taylor LOFT teacher clothes, my fitted T-shirts and my LOFT and JCrew sweats would not do, partly because they are not made for sports, partly because either I've stretched out my sweatpants or shrunk me because they keep falling off. I really don't have anything else. So I hooked myself up with my credit card cashback bonus award in the form of a TJ Max gift card. Surely I could find some good stuff there and save money.
Today I stayed away from the dresses and jeans, despite serious temptation. I worked my way up and down the "active wear" area, a place I am not at all familiar with. To my delight, I found BCBG sweatshirt with a very cute design, regularly $130, only $30 for the top. What a great sweatshirt for Romania! It was only short-sleeved, but it was so "me". I carried it around the entire time, hunting for the matching pants. However I noticed the tag recommended dry cleaning. Hmm. Probably not what I need.
I am proud of me. It was very difficult to give up the designer brand, but I instead found a more practical wind and water resistant jacket, some black shorts, a pair of sweat pants that wont fall off, and few shirts made for sports. All of this was for less than one TJ Max-priced BCBG sweatsuit. And I still saved big - over $100 off original prices. I even found a USA soccer jersey that will fit perfectly in to our Olympics camp theme. My completely non-sporty self now owns real athletic gear instead of the fancy imitation stuff. Perhaps its the start of a less brand-obsessed me? Nah... I must confess, if I am going to give up my LOFT fashion for the summer and dress like an athlete, I will wear the best brand of active wear possible...all but one purchase was Adidas :)
Now if only wearing Adidas attire would make me a great athlete...at least I'll look the part.

No comments: