Wednesday, May 14, 2008

New Kids on the Block aren't so new anymore...

this is not spiritual at all...but it needed to be said...
When I was in 4th grade, I was in love with Joey McIntyre...or so I thought.
Since then, the band that later became NKOTB disappeared from the spotlight. Boybands took over the airwaves, and still not a sound or song from my favorite boy band. Now finally at last, they are making a comeback.
New Kids on the Block are not so new and not at all kids though...the youngest is about 35 now. I'm not sure how that will go over with fans. I am willing to bet some of their youthful charm has faded. Most young girls don't find themselves drooling over 30-40 somethings.
Although the new single doesn't sound too bad, the lyrics are lacking...
Listen to how the lyrics describe a girl the first time they met during a Summer romance in 1988... "With your flip flops, half shirt, short shorts, mini skirt, Walkin' on the beach, so pretty..." Have you ever seen a girl wear short shorts AND a mini skirt? I know the 80s and early 90s had some odd fashion, but I don't even think its possible. Maybe the song writer meant that the girl was wearing a skort? Very popular back in '88. (I'm sure that's not what the writer meant, but could he not have come up with another article of clothing to fill the beat that made more sense?)
Then there is this one...
"I was like, "hey, girl, can I get your number" I remember what you told me too, "Don't call after ten" But you know that I did, 'Cause I couldn't stop thinkin' 'bout you." TOO and YOU rhyme...I will give them that.
Props for trying to fit big words like "reminisce" into a song. I'll stop with the lyrics there because who knows if the New Kids had anything to do with writing the song.
It actually reminds me of Justin Timberlake's Summer Love...perhaps a sequel to the song, years later when the young 20 year old subject of Summer Love is nearing 40 and having a mid-life crisis :).
If you're going to make a comeback after almost 20 years of absence, you really need an amazing song. This is not it. My loyalty is still to Joey though, so I will try my best to enjoy the song.
Then and Now (honestly, I think its an improvement for most of them)

2 comments:

Grete said...

Haha! I'd heard about this, too, and was curious how they'd turn out this many years later...
Is it weird that in third grade I liked Jonathan in the group? (As in, I married a Jonathan.)

P.S. I just noticed the change to your top bar - nice! I'm looking foward to some Romanian updates (I also need to mail you back the card to indicate that...) :)

Megan said...

i was in love with joey too! i was so excited when that they were going to make their 2nd comeback, but sadly dissapointed at their songs. i gave away my old tapes and t-shirt, but still crank it up on the radio when i hear an old school song :)