Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cambrooke's Swirl Caramel (updated)

A PKU Review

Swirl! My sampled arrived in the mail a few weeks ago. I actually tried this at the PKU conference this summer in a "secret taste test", so it wasn't new to me. But having it in the comfort of my own home was new. I was excited.

The taste test I did at the conference included 3 flavors, and none of them tasted like formula. I must admit that of the flavors, the caramel was the one I like the least. It reminded me of butterscotch pudding...not bad at all, but not a pudding flavor I ever pick. I'm excited for the chocolate flavor to come out someday soon.

Once again, Cambrooke managed to created a product that does not taste like formula. It is very rich (too rich for a morning formula for sure!). It is also messy. I made mine in my normal shaker cup with 3 oz. of water. I actually ended up stirring it after shaking because it still had some power-looking texture. I ate as much as I could scrape of the sides, but I felt like I wasted a lot of it. It stuck to the sides and was difficult to clean up. I even searched online to see how Cambrooke suggested making it, and they actually used the same exact cup I did. They just didn't zoom in on the mess made inside the cup.

I don't know that shelf life would allow this, but I would LOVE if swirl came in "snack pack" size cups premixed. I'm all about tasty formula, but as an adult with a full time job, if it's not convenient and easy to make, then it is not practical for life. I don't mind the cutesy official name "Kick'n'It Karamel", but I am very glad they didn't put that on the actual package...and I hope they don't add it. It's never fun to have people think you are snacking on/drinking/eating kiddie food.

With my second pack, I'm going to try the Swirl mixed as a "smoothie". I am sure it will taste great, and I'll update more later.

UPDATE:
I mixed the second pack with 8oz. of water and it was a nice texture. It tasted the same (good, but butterscotch-like) but was less messy since the liquid did not stick to the cup. I wouldn't mind this as a formula choice, but it is a bit rich. If they come out with the chocolate flavor, I would really like to have this as an evening "dessert" formula, since it really does taste like a sweet flavored shake/smoothie.


Looks just like pudding...yum

It stick to the side of the cup & needs to be scraped out :(

No comments: