Wednesday, June 20, 2012

New York City Trip

New York City is one of my favorite places to visit. This year, we were not planning on going, but we actually had a need to be in Philadelphia and learned it was MUCH cheaper to fly to NYC and take a train...so needless to say we are now spending the first few nights in NYC.

Every time I've been to NYC I've come across all sorts of free things...but I didn't know about any of them ahead of item. One summer I found movies showing in the park and a free Broadway Night concert. One year I was even there for the Olympic Torch parade. All of these were surprises I found once there. This year I decided to plan ahead and realized I can search for many of the events online.
NYC may be known for being expensive, but the summer parks have tons of free events, concerts, kids activities, and more. You can even find a morning yoga group in the parks. And I found free kayaking, fishing, and canoeing as well!

We will probably still try to catch a show and eat at some fun places. (Junior's Cheesecake is a must) but we love the idea of filling in some of the time with free activities. And I can't even imagine how great this would be if we had kids along with us - they have tons of daytime art and kids shows that would help a walk in the park be much more exciting for kids.

This is the best search I've found...you can enter in the dates of your trip and even search for free...or if you want all events (not just free) you can search that as well. I'm not sure how many we will end up trying out, but I'll update when we do to let you know if they were exciting/fun/worth the time. Hope its helpful for those of you wanting to do a trip to NYC without spending tons each day on activities.



No comments: