Monday, December 08, 2008

Do or do not, there is no try

What horrible advice! I don't consider myself a student of Master Yoda. Although I think he's kind of cute, his "wisdom" isn't always wise. For some reason, I seem to follow his words.
Sometimes its easier to "do not" than to try and fail. I find that I will avoid trying new things. I would rather have the hope of success and enjoyment later than the failure now. If I don't try, it might still work someday when I do.
A silly example...every now and then they come up with new "low protein" food choices. (If you don't know, I have a special diet I need to follow). I will order the new product and when it arrives, admire it from a distance. Occasionally, I will examine the packaging. It takes weeks to build up the courage to have a taste.
The most recent was "low pro" hot dogs. I love hot dogs, but I am not really supposed to eat them. The "low pro" ones looked great and I was excited to try them. As soon as they arrived, I packed them away. They spent a month in the freezer. I would see them and have hope that perhaps I had found an alternative to hot dogs - that I could bring them to summer BBQs and maybe everywhere else I go. Finally, one day I had nothing to eat in my cabinets, so I gave in and tried one. It was probably one of the most disgusting things I have ever tasted! I once again had no hope of a "low pro" hot dog. So was it better to live with "hope" in suspense? Or to know the truth (that they were indeed DISGUSTING!)?
January of this year, I heard of a medicine that could change my life. I quickly signed up for the program. I was told I would try it right away. After months of insurance problems, phone tag, and misunderstandings, its now December. I might finally get to try it. And it scares me. For a year, I have had hope that it will work. I am so excited about what life could be...so much less guilt at meal time and so much more ejnoyment. In just a few weeks, I will either have a different lifestyle OR go back to my hopeless hot-dog-free diet. Somehow, the unknown seems more comforting than the truth. But I know that if I don't try, I will NEVER be able to enjoy hot dogs, pepperoni, and cheese guilt free. Do or do not, there is no try? I think not. I am ready to know the truth!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found you from looking for recipes on Pinterest. I was reading some of your blogs and saw this one about the lo pro hot dogs! My 3 year olds twins have PKU and I got them some of these hot dogs and almost vomited from the smell. They were horrible. Good luck to you as it seems you are trying out Kuvan. My husband and I are still going back and forth as to whether or not we want our kids to try it. I hope it works well for you.

Erin Marie said...

Thanks. I can't imagine twins with PKU - a double challenge! I love most Cambrooke's food but those hot dogs were the worst! Kuvan works great for me (I responded better than most) but I don't know about younger kids using it. For me, it's been a blessing but it helps that I was already very aware of and disciplined in my diet. I need to eat a lot more protein now, but I can and do eat low-protein stuff when I need it.