Tuesday, October 07, 2008

REGRET IT FOREVER!!!!!!!!!

Every time I drive up or down I-35 across the Kansas turnpike near Emporia, my eyes are drawn to an old billboard with a simple message..."Accept Jesus Christ and be saved or REGRET IT FOREVER." Most people probably think its annoying, insulting, or maybe some think its wonderful. Each time I see the billboard the same thought enters my mind (which is often because the board is on BOTH sides of the road, how thoughtful of them). Perhaps its the sociologist in me, but I always wonder how many people have truly been "saved" through a billboard like this. Does God use it to convict people? Does it cause them to examine their lives? I am not one to judge, I have no idea what God might be doing through it, but it saddens me how the message if watered down.
As Christians, we try to remind people that they don't want to go to hell. Heaven sounds so much better. Who wouldn't want to be saved from burning in hell? But what is heaven? If heaven is eternity with God, and someone hasn't ever experienced God's presence on earth, why would that be appealing? We are asking them to trade in a lifestyle that seems fun to them for an investment that to them only pays in the end. And in their eyes, the pay isn't all that great.
Since when is the gospel only about joy in eternity? What happened to the joy that comes in Christ NOW, on this side of heaven. Scripture is filled with references to the kingdom of heaven being NOW on earth and in heaven. So many passages deal with how Christ transforms our life today, not by laws and morals, but through peace, joy, and purpose. Why are we trying trying to reach a instant-gratification generation with an attempt to "sell" a better afterlife when clearly Christ offers so much more.
The problem is most of us live with the Heaven part in mind, and let the every day reflect our human nature. I can tell everyone they can have joy in Christ now and for eternity, but as I grumble about my job, finances, social situations, love life, etc...why would they ever believe me? If I am not living like my life is transformed now, then the world sees my faith as nothing but "fire insurance".
Recently, I listened to a sermon about Matthew 13, the parable of the Sower. As the pastor elaborated on the different types of seeds he explained that the seed that fell among thorns started to grow, but was choked by the thorns, by the trials in the world. I began to wonder if that is what I look like to the world. As trials and just everyday life happen, do I let my faith be choked? Is my faith still evident? I know my relationship with Christ is genuine, but is it reflected to others? I have never bought into the "fire insurance" style of evangelism and never will. I don't need to be perfect, that's not possible this side of heaven. But if I am going to be so bold as to evangelize a faith that transforms lives here and now on earth, I want to be sure that is what my life is a testimony for.

No comments: