Tuesday, April 17, 2007

You snooze, you lose!

I have many roles at my work. One of my least favorites is that of the cheerleader. My coworker and I are in charge of leading our apathetic homeroom in a motivating cheer..."you snooze, you lose". Talk about hypocrisy. I lose.
Every day, I am a slave to my alarm clock. I am trapped in a cycle of 'snoozes'. I have NO control over how many times I push the dreaded snooze button. What's that you say? Try setting more than one alarm? I have three alarms: the cell phone, the one the nightstand, and the one in the bathroom that requires a long walk to reach. The cell phone...I forget I have it. I turn the alarm off without even noticing. In fact, the only time I notice the alarm is the rare occasion that I am off work on a weekday; the automatic M-F alarm is unwelcome on those 3-day weekends. The one on the nightstand...it rings for 20-30 minutes before I even hear it. Sometimes I don't even push snooze, but keep sleeping while it’s ringing. It doesn't bother me at all. The one in the bathroom that requires the long walk...I manage to make the walk about 3-4 times every morning (aka 27-36 minutes in snooze time). It is an extra loud alarm I bought in college. I hate to think how mornings are for the neighbor who unfortunately shares the wall with me. The alarms begin at 5:55am and I usually wake up between 6:45 and 7:10. I leave for work at 7:10 (or at least I should)
So I should stop whining and get my sleep-deprived self to bed earlier, right? Doesn't help. If I go to bed at 1am, I snooze for about an hour. If I go to bed at 9, I snooze for about an hour. If my alarm rings at noon after a 10-hour night of sleep, I snooze for an hour. If I wake up naturally but accidentally forget to turn my alarm off, I start snoozing and fall back asleep for about an hour. In between the alarms, during that dreaded 'snooze' time, I even dream about all the things I could be doing: read my bible, read the newspaper, iron my clothes, make myself look pretty. Dream as I do, the fact remains, no matter what I do, I always snooze. Every morning, I lose.

3 comments:

Grete said...

Hahaha.. This is a great post! And I can HEAR that alarm clock of yours going off - over and over and over. You need someone to be like, "Erin, do you hear that your alarm is going off?" as I did for you. :)

OR, you should get a dog that will pester you for a walk at the same time every morning - yep, that's what you should do.

Jon said...

I think I actually CAN hear your alarm going off from our apartment. I pity the people who are in the states closer than us!

RC said...

:-) i remember you talking about this in college.

sometimes (rarely) i have to kick kim out of bed ("don't you need to go to work" I say).

one week a couple weeks ago I decided to "fast" from my snooze button, i honestly commited it to God...and to be honest...i didn't push it once...it was a graet fast.

you should blog more...it's enjoyable!